Thursday, August 6, 2009

Full Moon and Sunrise

Date: 8/6/09
Place: Cosmo Park, Columbia, MO
Kites: Echo on 12'
Wind: 0 - 3 mph
Weather: Sunny, 68º

It was a beautiful morning with both a full moon going down and a full sun coming up!

There was a little too much wind for getting a real aerobic exercise session, but is was still fun doing some very nice 360s, up-and-overs, helicopters, and axels.

Place: Cosmo Park, Columbia, MO
Kites: Tumbling Cube on variable'
Wind: 1 - 3 mph
Weather: Sunny, 70º

I flew my Tumbling Cube kite at Cosmo Park and took some Flip-Cam video. Hopefully, I can get this edited and online somewhere/sometime soon. The TC Kite was fun to fly again. A spar connection failed once or twice so I may need to reinforce the kite in a few places.

Evening:
Place: Dorothy and Bob's backyard, Columbia, MO
Kites: Tumbling Cube on variable'
Wind: 0 - 2 mph
Weather: Evening, 80º

I flew my Tumbling Cube kite in Bob and Dorothy's back yard. They were hosting the weekly Irish music session that I play at and I took a break from the tunes to demo this kite. It was very fun to fly. Bob especially liked the kite, but kept wanting to fly it in more wind, maybe missing the point that it is flys just fine, maybe even better, in low-to-no wind. Fred was impressed and a bit puzzled about this kite's aerodynamics -- how it can fly out straight and more or less stably (without a tail!) and then become very unstable the next moment. I put it away and then got it out again when Amy arrived so that I could demo it for her. I let her try it and she liked it, but was giving it more effort than needed when trying to "shoot it out." I did pull out the Echo to try to show her that kite, but there really wasn't enough space, and there was too much wind, and it was flying over an asphalt street near power lines. Another time for an Echo demo for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment