Thursday, May 7, 2009

Backspin'ing along

Date: 5/7/09 (10th day in a row) #1
Place: Cosmo Park, Columbia, MO
Kites: E2 on 85'
Wind: 0-6 mph, S
Weather: Sunny, 68º

The grass was very wet and there wasn't much wind. My kite quickly got very wet, and it did seem kind of heavy to fly.

My fades were very weird - didn't really work at all. Thinking back now, I wonder if the heavier wet kite had anything to do with it? At the time I thought it was a strange wind that was blowing somewhat downward.

It was a frustrating late-morning fly. Not enough wind, and it was kind of hot and muggy (without the wind) and a lot of standing around waiting for some wind.

- - - - - - - -
Date: 5/7/09 (10th day in a row) #2
Place: Cosmo Park, Columbia, MO
Kites: E2 on 85'
Wind: 4-9 mph, S
Weather: Sunny, 81º

Since the 1st fly was not so good and the wind seemed to become better, I went out a second time today (just before supper time). And I'm glad I did, because the wind was much sweeter, gentler, and more steady. And I had fun.

I flew most of my regular tricks. And I tried, and more or less succeeded, with a new trick, the backspin. The backspin is a horizontal spin from a fade position. I'm pretty sure I did a couple, but not very clean ones and they ended up on the ground at the end. Sometimes when I tried one, the kite just did a lateral roll (I think - I'll have to watch more carefully).

No comments:

Post a Comment