Saturday, April 18, 2009

Flights of Fancy (KCKC)

Date: 4/18/09
Place: MMC-Longview, Lee's Summit, MO
Kites: E2 on 85'
Wind: 11 - 2 - 6 mph, S
Weather: Cloudy, 64º

Flights of Fancy is the Kansas City Kite Club's (KCKC) annual kite festival put on in Lee's Summit (near KC) on Sat. 4/18, Noon-4:00. There were mostly lots of single-line kites in the air with only one 4-line Revolution and one 2-line stunt kite with a very long tail (only doing loops, 8's, dives).

I met a guy, Paul A., who let me fly his Prism Micron, a very small 2-line kite that flys very fast and buzzes - fun! Mid-afternoon I decided to fly my E2. So after finding space and flying it for only 10 minutes - the wind died down. It was actually kind of cool turning around and seeing at least 100 kites all slowly sinking to the ground. Paul A., very generously let me fly his low-wind/no-wind kite, made in KC, which cost $800 :^o It fly very gracefully and slowly with almost no wind.

Then the wind picked up again enough to do some tricks with my E2. I flew in the area marked, "KCKC Members Only." Oh well, I am a KCKC member, even though I wasn't officially part of the program. I did some axels, 1/2-axels, backflips, lazy susans, fades, flic-flacs (only a few), and a couple 540's.

All in all it was a fun afternoon. I bought a KCKC T-shirt, mostly because they are bright purple, one of my favorite colors.

A few more photos:




1 comment:

  1. I came across your blog and wanted to say that we are so glad you could make the trip from Columbia to come out to MCC-Longview Flights of Fancy and fly with us! We are so glad you enjoyed the Festival. You have some great pictures and a great post.

    Flights of Fancy is presented by Metropolitan Community College-Longview and features the expert skills of KCKC. It is amazing to have one of the nation's biggest and best kite-flying organizations here in Kansas City! More information on Flights of Fancy can be found at MCCFlightsofFancy.org.

    We hope you'll join us next year on Saturday, April 17! More information will be available on MCCFlightsofFancy.org as we get closer.

    ReplyDelete