Thursday, January 1, 2009

Kites I own

Kites I own:
  • Skynasaur Competition
  • Skynasaur Skyfox
  • Skynasaur Aerobat
  • Prism 3d
  • Prism E2
My first kite was a Peter Powell (see red kite photo at right, though mine was purple) purchased in 1985 (or so). Not a a very sophisticated kite - flew like a dog, but it flew and got me hooked on flying dual line kites.

I purchased and flew the three Skynasaur kites in the mid-1980's. The Skynasaur Competition was last flown at the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area in Oregon at an ocean beach and there is still sand in the string and tail. By the way, I have a 150' tail for the Comp!

The Areobat is a lighter wind version of the Comp. I last flew it in Columbia, MO in December 2008. It is not very nimble.

The Skyfox is a great little kite that I like to use in heavier winds because it has a lighter pull. I have never been able to fly this little kite without its tail. Like the other Skynasaurs, I haven't been able to relaunch the kite once it is grounded without a lot of trouble or someone helping.

The Prism 3d was a Christmas 2008 gift from my spouse, Annett. It is a low wind kite. It would probably be a lot of work to keep it up indoors, though I've never tried.

The Prism E2 is a big, fun, trickable (once I learn) kite. It was a demo kite (but never flown) from Picture Pretty Kites and was $30-off (yea!) due to some discolored line marks on the sail, which can't be seen while its flying.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    My name is Ken Theisen.
    Back in the 80s my first stunt kite was the Skyinasaur. I’m not quite sure of the model, but it was the one without the steering bar in front.
    Nostalgia has set in and I found an old beat up Skyinasaur that I’m trying to revive. Trouble is the bridle. I can only go on memory. Tricky little devil to try and guess and get right.
    Would you by chance be able to help me out with some measurements from the one you have.
    I would be very great full.
    Thank,
    Ken T.

    ReplyDelete